*We are still alive! Some things have just had to be put to the side and journaling is one of them.
*I can’t believe that Christmas is fast approaching. With that being said, I wanted to talk about traditions. Every year I feel like we go through the motions. We set up the tree, we fill out our activity calendar, we set up the nativity, we read stories and we focus on service. For the first time ever, my kids got really upset when things didn’t go ‘as usual.’ Let me tell you why. Last year, we loaned out our Christmas tree for a stake function. I was told that it didn’t get used so Jon and I did not inspect the storage bin when returned to us. All is well, right? It was until it was time to set up the tree this past weekend. We placed all the tree parts on the floor and then when it was time to set up the base, there were no screws. If the tree wasn’t nine feet tall and so very heavy, we would have just finished setting it up regardless. I knew that would not be a wise choice and it was close to nine o’clock, so most stores were closed so we couldn’t go get new screws. Jon and I still have the first tree we ever bought when we were first married up in the attic. We thought it would be awesome to pull it out and set it up. It definitely is a Charlie Brown kind of a tree, but a tree with memories. You would have thought we had cancelled Christmas. The kids were beside themselves, crying hysterical and very emotional. It wouldn’t be the same without the ‘big’ tree. It was at that very moment I realized how things become a tradition and why it becomes a part of your family and who you are. I loved watching the kids decorate their own little mini trees in their rooms and listen to them talk about Christmas traditions that are important to them. I heard them talk about their favorite holiday activities, like riding around in their pj’s drinking hot chocolate looking at Christmas lights. Then on Monday, without being asked, Sydney gathered everyone around to read The Last Straw, one of our favorite Christmas stories. It is a story about serving your family members and filling a manger with straw for each act of service with hopes that come Christmas Eve, the savior would have a soft place to sleep. Sydney even had everyone’s names ready to draw. I have also heard them getting excited about buying their sibling gifts. It makes me smile to see some of things become important to our children, things that they will carry into their own families someday. Tradition. (All is well, we bought the parts needed to assemble the big tree and everyone was happy again!)
*Two of my favorite service activities I did with the kids this Christmas was helping a new neighbor vacuum the massive amounts of leaves they had in their yard. It was awesome! Our second act of service was sneaking into a new found friend’s house with a decorated Christmas tree (that would be Jon and I's charlie brown Christmas tree!). We placed a blanket/makeshift tree skirt under the tree with a Christmas plaque and a ceramic nativity. I love the feeling that comes with serving others. I hope that is something my kids will take with them and always find ways to serve those around them.
No comments:
Post a Comment