Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dirty Little Rascal

We have had mysterious piles of dirt just appear in our flower garden the past few days.  I know that Braden likes to dig in the dirt and I have been monitoring where he has been moving the dirt.  These piles were bigger than there was dirt missing from any other place in the yard.  Then I noticed that most of my flowers were missing from the top tier of our flower garden....mmmm....very strange.  Fast forward a little bit now.  I knew that it was going to be a long summer if I was constantly telling Braden not to dig around my flowers.  I decided to transplant all my flowers from our corner flower bed to the other two flower beds and just give him the big corner garden area for digging until his heart was content.  As I was taking down some of the retaining wall bricks, we found a big hole/tunnel.  I joked with Morgan that it was a snake hole and to watch out.  I then went in the house to wash my hands when I hear Morgan yelling her head off that there is a rat in the back yard.  Jon and I go running out to find Mr. Prairie Dog poking his head out of this hole.  We tried digging behind him to scare him out so we could catch him and take him out to the mesa.  He won and we didn't catch him.  When the kids got up this morning, the first thing they did was run outside to see if there were any new dirt piles and sure enough, he had made a few new tunnels and was making an appearance.   We placed a big bucket in front of his hole with some weeds in it and he crawled right in.  We slapped a lid on it and the kids were exstatic!!  We checked out his way cool fingers and his amazingly LONG teeth that he used to eat all my flowers and then we drove him out to the mesa to make a new home.   


1 comment:

Dave and Holly said...

That is so awesome! I can't believe you actually caught the little rascal. Hopefully now your flowers will thrive. :)