It was a busy day at our house today. For cross contamination purposes, we now have to do our canning in our home. I went to the cannery and picked up 145 cans and all the accessories that go with it and headed home for what I expected to be a 2 hour project. Boy was I wrong! We decided to fill all 100 cans before starting the sealing process because once you open the oxygen absorbers, you only have a limited time before they go bad. We got to that point and Jon put the first can on the machine to seal it. Well, the machine sealed the can to itself and we could not get the can off. I instantly went into panic mode....I had just wasted 100 oxygen absorbers and the cannery was long since closed and not open again until next saturday. What was I going to do with 100 open cans of food in my kitchen for a week?
I quickly called the stake cannery specialist and explained that we had followed the directions exactly but things went very wrong! He drove out to our house and after prying, banging and tearing metal, we got the can off the machine. We were back in business. Jon was a great help in getting the cans sealed while I labeled, packaged and sealed the boxes.
5 1/2 hours later, we had a total of 12 cases of rice, 4 cases of pinto beans and 2 cases of gluten free oats.
Having food is great. It's the storage part that is the problem! Without a basement, there are few places to keep all this food. I guess that is what under the bed is for?
Now we need to get some water stored or this food will do us no good in the event of an emergency! Baby steps, right?
2 comments:
Great Story and way to set the example.
Way to go guys! Sounds like a lot of work, but I bet you feel great at night sleeping on top of all that food. We are looking around our house trying to find places to put more of our food storage.
Post a Comment