Thursday, March 5, 2009

Touched by the Sense of Smell

I had to put this in writing so I wouldn't forget how I felt. I have NEVER been touched by one of my senses the way I was on Monday night. Some friends of ours had their baby early and he has been in the NICU. I had the oppurtunity to go to the hospital to visit the mom and baby. As the door to the NICU was opened for us, I was overcome by emotion. For those of you who do not know, our Sydney was 7 1/2 weeks early (this was six years ago) and we spent two and a half weeks in the NICU as well. At that time, I knew it was serious and I knew that her little body was very weak. It all seemed like a whirl wind and I remember being caught up in the moment. Having the chance to go back to the NICU made me realize the seriousness of the situation we had been in with Sydney. When that door opened, the smell of sanitizing soap, latex gloves, plastic tubing, beeping moniters and the quiet patter of nurses feet moving from one infant to the next brought back feelings and emotions I didn't know I had bottled up inside and made me realize how grateful and lucky I am to live in a time when modern medicine saved the life of my baby. The nurses and doctors that work with these premature babies give many countless hours of love and concern. They truely work miracles there. I also realized how lucky we really were. There were so many other babies that were much sicker than Sydney. I still feel like I can't put into words the way I felt, but I do know that the power of touch, smell and hearing are very strong. I am grateful to have had this experience. I love my Sydney and I am glad she is with us today.

This was Sydney six years ago weighing in at a whopping 4lbs and 8 oz.

3 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

Great post Heidi! If I hadn't been ready to pop my first one out I would have been down there experiencing those memories with you. I'm oh so grateful little Sydney is here, and that she pulled through just fine. I've found a real kindred spirit in her!

Field Family said...

I didn't know all that. It is a miracle now days what can be done to help. As for our senses and memories, that is amazing too. Everytime I smell anything Vanilla scented I about throw up. I was using vanilla scented shampoo when I got pregnant the first time. Yuck!! Still can't stomach the scent.

Angie said...

It's amazing how a smell can instantly take you back so vividly to a memory. Glad everything worked out!!