As a youth, I never had the opportunity to participate in a pioneer trek. That is something they started after I was the age to go. Our stake was putting together first ever trek and my dear friend Rebecca nominated me to be a photographer for the trek. In the beginning stages, the plan was to have at least two photographers. I was really nervous to go mostly because I really dislike camping for multiple days and being dirty! I got the call that they officially wanted me to go and be the photographer, and it was only going to be me. I stressed a lot about how I was going to be able to cover the whole event by myself. I had to put my trust in the Lord and know that it all would work out. It did. I really can't even put into words the experience I had on trek. It was amazing and I would do it again next week if they ask me too! It restored my faith in the youth of the church, that they can do hard things, they can be strong and they have amazing testimonies of the gospel. I was dumbfounded by some of the perspectives that were shared from the youth in regards to different events during the trek. Truly amazing kids!
Headed out the gate at the trail head.
Rebecca ended up being my second shooter on trek. She also made all the trek awards that we handed out along the journey. We joked that she was our camp hobo.
There was one young man that really stood out to me. If Braden could be anything like him, I would be a very happy mother. He had the most polite manners. Always serving those around him without being asked. Often times he was playing hymns on his guitar.
Lots of pioneer games...
There were several parts of the trail that if you closed your eyes, you would have heard the sound of pitter patter rain...instead it was the sound of falling caterpillars! It almost made my skin crawl! They were everywhere...
This is the young man I spoke of. His sister became very ill. To watch him tenderly comfort her and see his tears of sorrow for her pain were very touching to me.
The power of the priesthood is very powerful and can bring forth miracles to those with faith.
Considering the terrain we were crossing, we only ended up with one broken wagon.
Those awesome caterpillars I mentioned, this is what they were doing to all the quakies in the area.
Evidence that there were bears in the area...thankfully we didn't see any!
Who said you couldn't be creative with all the leftover food in the family buckets?
This is the day we only ate gruel for lunch. Wasn't the best by any means, but if you were hungry, you were grateful for anything.
Flavoring up the bland oatmeal with a little tang powder! I'm sure the pioneers were creative at times as well!
Got to mingle with awesome pioneer families!
Me and my counterpart in crime I mean photography!
Rebecca knew from previous treks that there would be a time when all participants would get to read a letter from home. She made sure that even I got one from Jon. It meant a lot to read it and know that he loves me and supports me in all that I do.
While everyone was reading their letters, this young gal had found a spot on the edge of the mountain and was sketching the amazing view before her eyes.
Then it was time for the men to join the Mormon Battalion.
At the end of four days of dirt, tears, sweat and memories, we crested the last hill before finishing the trek. Looking back and seeing the long trail of pioneers who finished a good fight made my heart swell with gratitude. I am so grateful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of latter day Saints. I know that I have a Heavenly Father who loves me and is aware of my everyday pioneer struggles. He is there for me and he answers my prayers. I am so grateful for the opportunity to have gone on this trek and the feelings and experiences I will take from it.
Our former Stake President made most of the trek possible with the use of his barns, trucks, stoves and many other things. He has very dear Amish friends in Colorado near his cabins that learned of our trek. They wanted to contribute to the cause. They prepared and hand made over 300 doughnuts the morning we arrived to base camp for our feast. I think most of us will never forget how delicious those doughnuts were.
Just a small glimpse at what most of our feet looked like at the end of our journey! Lots and lots of mole skin and duct tape were used.
This young man is a member of our ward, but could pass as a young Indiana Jones!
REMEMBER was our theme and I think we all will remember this experience.































No comments:
Post a Comment