Friday, April 15, 2011

Forget Me Not Friday

*We went to masquerade birthday party this past weekend for a mom and daughter in our ward.  They had all kinds of games, food and music for dancing.  On the way home Sydney says, “I could hardly take all the romance there tonight.  All of the adults kept kissing after the couple’s dances. Oh wait, I should get used to it since I will be doing it soon.”  What the ----?  Not exactly what you want to hear from an eight year old!  I guess two of our children will be getting the talk real soon.
*We have been doing talent time during our family home evenings.  I love to see the kids get all excited to share their latest talent.  The girls will usually play a song on the piano they have been working on and Braden is into doing summersaults.  Braden has decided to branch out and share his talent of playing the piano as well.  It has been hard to not laugh out loud…not because we are making fun of him but rather because he really gets into it and makes it up as he goes!  I need to get it on video.
* I got to go with Sydney’s class to the planetarium this week.  It was really pretty cool.  The teacher was teaching the kids how to tell directions from the sun and the stars.
*Braden asked me how to get to heaven so he could give Jesus a hug.  I don’t think I took full advantage of that teaching moment.  I have never really been good with spur of the moment questions from the kids and therefore I am not prepared with the best teaching answers.  Need to work on that!
*A family that we knew a few years back from when we first moved here had their seven year old son pass away this past weekend.  I did not know them real well, but it really brought the thought home to me that we don’t know how many tomorrows we have.  Life changes in an instant.  The day I heard the news I was having a really bad ‘mom day’ and I was at my wits end.  Then to get a phone call with this information was devastating.  What if I had had this horrible day and never got the chance to make things better with my kids, or tell them how much I really do love them even though sometimes they are hard to love?  That is my new goal, no matter what or where or time, I always try to tell my kids I love them, even when we are just driving in the car because you never know if you are going to die going to the store.  Jon, Morgan, Sydney, Braden and Jaycee….I love you so much and I have a lot of areas I am trying to do better in…one day at a time.
*I hope I am not the only mom in the world that struggles with children that can’t pick anything up to save their lives!  It’s amazing to me how they will literally just walk on something and keep on going.  It baffles me beyond belief!  So the other day Morgan say’s to me, “Mom, I have something that is really important to me and I don’t want anybody to touch it, where should I put it?”  Without hesitation, I said, “On the floor.  Nobody touches anything that is on the floor!”  She didn’t find it is funny as I did!
*Morgan’s very yucky fingernail FINALLY fell off after 4 longs months!  She slammed the same finger in the door twice during a two week period of time, poor girl.  The good news is that the new nail is almost all the way in.

2 comments:

Nyra said...

Beautiful forget me knots...

David said...

I just about died laughing when I read the story about things being on the floor. It is so true to life. I just spent the last hour or so getting after the kids to pick up the house for Sarah. It still amazes me that I have to point to each individual item on the ground that should be picked up and put away. Thanks for a good laugh.